May 21, 2012

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who still watched Grey's Anatomy. I felt loyalty to the show: it started in my sophomore year of college and I have such wonderful memories associated with it: watching it downstairs in the sorority house (where there was a "no talking, no phone calls" rule during the show); going to one of my first over-21 happy hours and drinking a few too many margaritas and couldn't follow the storyline, resulting in me crying during each commercial break because I was missing my favorite show; having countless bottles of wine and bowls of hummus with college friends as we celebrated engagements, weddings, promotions, all while the doctors at Seattle Grace saved lives and played musical beds. However, something's gotta give. The characters on the show have gone through the following: --one of them was killed in a bus accident --four were shot in one episode (two died) --one happened upon a campus shooting --one DIED for 45 minutes (because people get knocked into the frigid water of Seattle Sound all the time) --one had an inoperable brain tumor --one pulled a bomb from a body At the end of an episode two weeks ago, several of these characters were in a plane crash. Now I understand that ABC may want to reuse some of the pricey LOST props, but REALLY?! At least on ER, the bad luck and turmoil was spread around amongst different characters, but Cristina Yang summed it up best when she screamed she was ditching Seattle Grace because of all the horrible things that have happened to her and her friends there. As a viewer, I can't watch anymore. Shonda Rhimes just can't let her characters be happy for a semi-long amount of time, and that's not any fun for a viewer. So, my DVR will get a little extra wiggle room, and I'll no longer be able to toss out medical terms in normal conversation. but I'll alsways have the soundtrack . . . (I leave your with my favorite song from said soundtrack):

No comments:

Post a Comment