Jul 13, 2011

Summer Reading 2011 Update

One of the worst decisions I ever made was buying a Borders Rewards Plus membership. I get an extra discount on most books (which are often already discounted) and free shipping. The result is I've spent $100 on books this summer. Below are the updates on books I blogged about previously:

American Wife:
I really liked this book, but I don't think its one I will read again. It's an interesting spin on Laura Bush and her transformation to first lady, but as we were talking about it in our book club meeting, we found that we didn't really like the main character all that much, however engrossed we were in the story. I'd give it 3 out of five stars

Something Blue: The sequel to Something Borrowed, I had high hopes for this book. I miust say that I wasn't drawn to this one as much as the first one. I just have problems believing people change that drastically and that people suddenly fall in love, but all in all, an enjoyable book. 2.5-3 stars out of 5.

One Day: I'll be honest, I bought this and read it because the movie is coming out in August. An engaging, yet at times heart-wrenching, book. It checks in with a couple (at times friends, at times more) on the same date every year. You see how much their lives change (or don't) year-over-year. It also makes you reflect on how you're living your life and if you're where you want to be. Four stars!

Sisterhood Everlasting:
The last book in the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. Not my favorite, and at times it felt a little jumpy, but I was glad to get closure on the series and what the girls did with their lives, even if they weren't how I pictured, or some of the loose ends felt a little like a cop-out. Three stars.

Since I'm not buying anymore books for awhile (that sound you hear is my AmEx breathing a sigh of relief), here's what's on my nighstand for the next few months:

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (about a third of the way through this, good, but a slow read)
Bossypants
Room
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
In the Garden of Beasts
(SO excited for this one--about the family that was ambassador to Hitler's Germany)

Stay tuned . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment