May 13, 2010

Summer Reading

Everyone has a time in college when they need just one more class for a semester, thus begins a mad scramble for an easy-yet-non-boring class (enter the random theater class for non-majors or social psychology with your BFF). For me, it was always pretty easy, I would just find an English class that was reading books I’d always wanted to read and enroll in that (gotta love that English classes have no pre-reqs). After several semesters of this, a professor pointed out that I had enough credits for a minor, thus my second minor was born.

Long-story short, I love to read. One thing I dislike about being out of college is that I don’t always have something to read. If it weren’t for my minor, I wouldn’t have read Pride & Prejudice, In Cold Blood, The Doll House, or Heather Has Two Mommies (yes, I read a picture book about lesbian life partners)

So in light of upcoming vacations, I decided it was time for a trip to one of my favorite stores—Half Priced Books. I’m lucky that the one in Dallas is HUGE, b/c I hate paying full-price for a book. I picked up a few basic chic-lit books (one by Sophie Kinsella, my first chic-lit author, and one by Jane Green, author of one of my top-5 books Bookends). But I got two I’m REALLY excited about:



The Art of Racing in the Rain was recommended to me by a friend—it’s the story of a family as told through the dog’s eyes (I think, I need to read the jacket again). I’m so excited about this book that I bought it in hardback, another thing I never do. Can’t wait to start this on my flight to Vegas!



I’m never one to like the mass-appeal book of the moment. I never liked Devil Wears Prada, The Nanny Diaries, DaVinci Code, Bergdorf Blondes, etc. (Hmmm, most of these have been made into movies too . . .). Anyways, I keep hearing great things about The Help, from different people who never agree on the same thing, so I think the odds are good for me enjoying this one. This book is so popular, I had to pay full-price at Borders (well, not full-price, I had a coupon and a gift card). Fingers crossed it’s good; I plan on reading this on my white-sand beach vacay in a few weeks . . .

Any other book recs for the summer? Have you read either of these?

No comments:

Post a Comment